Over 50 Years of our family giving you more of what you go to sailing school for!SM
Next “Live 105” Coastal Nav course on ZOOM: Tuesday evenings, November 30, December 7, 14 & 21. 21st can be done after holidays if you need. Tuition: $395, all-inclusive!.. proper chart, finest text book and tools, and ASA 105 certification. If one or more dates don’t work for you, contact us about tweaking this schedule or setting up the next one!
WANT TO SEE SCHEDULES? Use the drop down here to choose a course, and schedules will magically appear. (If a course or clinic doesn’t appear, just shoot us a message and we’ll get back to you.)
COVID-19, updated August 23: all our instructors are fully vaccinated. Want to learn how to sail, join our sailing club, or come on one of our destination trips? You must be fully vaccinated as well, and submit proof in advance via Excelsior Pass, vax card, or other accepted method Stay the course and stay safe, as the Delta variants are insidious and, while fully vaxed people are well protected, Delta sometimes slips past the goalie. Also, we don’t yet know what’s just off the Radar that we’ll all read about later.
Ready to learn how to sail, cruise or navigate? Live, on-line interactive navigation schedules (105) and on-water sailing schedules for 101, 103 and 104 at City Island are shown below. See a list of courses with links here, or contact us with questions.
On this page, you can purchase our certification courses and Sailing Club memberships, or just check schedules in the drop-down menu below. “Learn Live” interactive navigation schedules are not set far in advance; we roll with demand, so check back, contact us, or sign up for our eNews, “Tidings” to be notified when new ones are posted. Weekday sailing and cruising courses are usually scheduled on demand. For specialty clinics, we will send you an email invoice you can pay directly from. Our Price Matching and discount policies, as well as general terms and conditions of enrollment, all appear below.
WANT TO SEE SCHEDULES? Use the drop down here to choose a course, and schedules will magically appear. Note the dates; sorry, can’t copy/paste. (If a course or clinic doesn’t appear, just shoot us a message and once we confirm date/s with you, we’ll send you a email invoice that lets you pay by credit/debit or PayPal.)
WANT TO SIGN UP? Options…
1. Enroll securely right here. All transactions are on PayPal’s platform – ultra secure! (No need to have a PayPal account.) Easy from any device; super mobile-friendly. Use credit/debit, reward/gift cards, or a PayPal account if you have or create one. (Powered by them, but you do not need to have or sign up for PayPal.) In some cases, you can even use a bank account. You’ll get instant confirmation both on-screen and by email. Want an invoice first? Let us know, and we’ll email one you can click and pay from and save for your records.
2. One call does it all if you like speaking to someone, and we can answer any questions. 718-885-0335. Payment is by credit/debit card, check, or cash.
(Any which way you pay to play, please read the terms and conditions at the bottom of the page before enrolling. There, you’ll also find a list of Courses, prices & discounts, with links back to their pages, in case you need to check anything before choosing.)
To sign up here securely: Scroll down to see our Sailing Club and Sailing Course options. Choose the appropriate payment amount from the drop-downs. Enter or paste the schedule, if choosing now, and click the yellow button to add to cart. You can then pay with your choice of Visa, MC, Discover, Amex, or PayPal. (For price matching on Start SailingSM, use the $1 price-match option. We’ll verify your price match and email you a custom invoice that you can pay directly from.)
You’ll get instant on-screen and email confirmation, and we’ll follow up with a second and confirm your schedule if you chose one. Or, shoot us a message or reply to our confirmation to set your schedule. You can also call us at 718-885-0335 if you have questions or anything to add. Welcome aboard!
Ready to do this? Here we go…
Here’s more about our discount & Price Matching, followed by a list of courses/prices with links to their pages, and Terms and Conditions of enrollment.
Graduates of any of our certification courses enjoy a 10% discount on all future courses & clinics.
nb: Discounts can’t be combined. The best available single discount will always apply, whether it’s a volume discount, sale price, or price matching. Any discount requires at least 3 students in a schedule for nav and cruising courses, but only 2 for learn-to-sail/101. We will still run scheduled courses that are not full, but discounts will not apply, even if a student must make up the difference in pricing. No refund will be given in the event that a discount must be forfeited due to not having the minimum applicable enrollment. Re-scheduling will not be allowed either unless, at the Sailing Center’s sole discretion, it does not create a logistical problem for the Sailing Center or other student/s involved. (Many other schools simply cancel schedules that aren’t full, and leave students without plans at the last minute. Again, we’ll run a schedule that doesn’t have full enrollment, but unless the boat or classroom is more than half full, we can’t give discounts when we do that for you.)
Price matching policy for our Start SailingSM course (ASA 101, learn-to-sail/Basic Keelboat):
We’ll match any Tri-State Area school’s price for an honest, full, 3-day learn-to-sail course, and split the difference for 2-day programs. (Good luck finding a school that gives you as much as we do!) We will BEAT the final price of any yacht club’s full 3-day course. Their program must be accredited with ASA or US Sailing, and the course must lead to or offer ASA or US Sailing Basic Keelboat certification. You can ask for price matching when you enroll, or for up to one week afterward (in which case we credit any difference owed you). Choose the $1 option in the drop down pricing menu for Start Sailing. Tell us which program you’re looking for a price match with. We’ll verify the final pricing with you and send an email invoice for the balance that you can click and pay from. Price matching can be invoked only one time per course & student, even if you find a better deal later. Price matching cannot be combined with other discounts. The best available single discount will apply. More details on price matching appear at the bottom of this page before general terms and conditions.
Price matching policy for our Start NavigatingSM course (ASA 105, Coastal Navigation):
We’ll match any accredited Tri-State Area school or Yacht Club’s price for a full coastal navigation course leading to ASA or US Sailing certification. The course must have at least two sessions (on separate dates), and must have at least 12 hours of instruction (not including time allotted for the certification exam). Any extra charges for materials, exam, certification, etc will be added to their tuition when we price match. (Yup; we do the all-inclusive thing here.) You can ask for price matching before or upon enrollment only, and only once – even if you find a better deal later. Choose the $1 option in the drop down pricing menu for Start Sailing. Tell us which program you’re looking for a price match with. We’ll verify the final pricing with you and send an email invoice for the balance that you can click and pay from. Price matching cannot be combined with other available discounts. The best available single discount will apply. More details on price matching appear at the bottom of this page before general terms and conditions.
BEWARE of misleading descriptions of how long a course is. Schools do it; daily deal sites do it. Be sure you’re clear about the following when comparing programs:
- how many hours are considered a ‘day’
- whether those hours are sailing or in a classroom
- whether sailing hours are with an instructor or practicing without one
What do we give you?
- 3 full days with an instructor, mostly on-water (approx 5 hours classroom and 18 sailing)
- 3 students maximum per boat (almost all other schools do 4 per boat)
- 2 or 3 half day practice sessions, supervised by an instructor, but you sail without one
So, you see, we are a better value BEFORE price matching. Having said that, here are the terms for this policy…
- School must be an ASA or US Sailing Certification facility.
- A yacht club is defined as a private, non-profit membership club.
- Each ‘day’ must be mostly sailing time with an instructor. A ‘3-day’ course that only gives you two days with an instructor on board is a 2-day course. For two-day courses, if part of that time is practice sailing without an instructor, or taking and exam, etc, we will give you 25% of the price difference instead of 50%. (Remember, we include two half-day practice sessions after our entire 3-day course, and don’t use course time to administer tests.)
- Their price must be all-inclusive, or we’ll add on the extras – course materials, text book/practice problems, plotting tools, certification, etc – before matching the price or splitting the difference.
- Price matching applies regardless of whether either course is on sale.
- If their course is offered through a ‘daily deal’ site such as Groupon, Living Social, etc, we will still do price matching unless there are extra restrictions imposed on the purchaser through the offer as compared to that school’s posted terms & conditions. In that case, we’ll split the difference for 3-day courses and offer 25% of the difference for 2-day courses
- For Coastal Navigation: their course must have at least two sessions, each on a different date, and total at least 12 hours in instructional length. Any time allotted for the certification exam doesn’t count.
Questions about this, or anything else? Ask us.
Here’s a list of the most common courses with links back to their pages for more info.
- Start Sailing: Learn-to-sail / Basic Keelboat (ASA 101). $795, with Price Matching per the terms outlined above). Discounts: $50 off each when 2 enroll for same schedule (unless we don’t have a 3rd person in the schedule and it’s semi-private); $100 off each for 3 or more! Full terms for discounts are outlined above.
- Start Cruising: Basic Coastal Cruising (ASA 103). $595. Discounts: $50 off each when 2 or more enroll for same schedule. Full terms for discounts are outlined above.
- Start Bareboating: Bareboat Cruising (ASA 104). $695. Discounts: $50 off each when 2 or more enroll for same schedule. Full terms for discounts are outlined above.
- Start Navigating: Coastal Navigation (ASA 105). $395, and we offer price matching per the terms outlined above. Discounts: $50 off each when 3 or more enroll for same schedule (must enroll within one week of each other). Full terms for discounts are outlined above.